|Sept. 1963 -|
|Student Assistent University of Amsterdam
|Sept. 1965 -|
|Wetenschappelijk Medewerker Universiteit van Amsterdam
|Sept. 1969 -|
|Wetenschappelijk Medewerker 1e klasse Universiteit van Amsterdam (on leave)
|Sept. 1969 -|
|Steklov Inst. of Math. Moscow (with a ZWO grant)
|Sept. 1970 -|
|Lector Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam (=Netherlands School of Economics, during that period)
|Sept. 1972 -|
|Professor of Mathematics, Erasmus Universiteit van Rotterdam
|Feb. 1, 1973 -|
March 31, 1973
|USA, mainly Harvard (with a Fullbright-Hays travelling grant)
|Sept. 1973 -|
|Professor Extraordinarius, Univ. Instelling Antwerpen
|Sept. 1982 -|
|Head Department Pure Mathematics, CWI (=Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science) Amsterdam
|Sept. 1988 -|
|Head Department Algebra, Analysis and Geometry, CWI, Amsterdam
|Sept. 1982 -|
|Professor Extraordinarius Mathematics, Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam
|July 1, 1985 -|
|Prof. Extraordinarius in Mathematics, University of Utrecht
|Dec. 1995||Guest professor University of Bordeaux I
|Further Professional data
|Promotor for (=thesis advisor)
- M. van de Vel, Sept. 1975; The intersection property: a contribution to almost fixed point theory.
- J.J.F. Ritzen, April 1977, together with Prof. H.C. Bos, Education, income distribution and economic growth.
- F. Kouwenhoven, April 1986, together with J.R. Strooker, Universal operations in the representation theory of groups.
- B. Hanzon, November 1986, Identifiability, recursive identification, and spaces of linear dynamical systems.
- J.F. Kaashoek, November 1988, Modelling one-dimensional pattern formation by diffusion.
- D.J. Smit, September 1989, Quantum groups and algebraic geometry in conformal field theory.
- H.J. Imbens, December 1989, Finite dimensional solutions of infinite hierarchies of soliton equations.
- J. Scholma, 19 November 1990, A Lie algebraic study of some integrable systems associated with root systems.
- F. Weinstein, Filtering basis: a tool to compute cohomologies of abstract subalgebras of the Witt algebra, December 1992, Utrecht.
- R. Peeters, February 1994, Identification of linear input-output systems and Riemannian metrics.
- Astrid Scholtens, 4 March 1996, together with B Ditters, p-typical curves in noncommutative formal groups.
- (Co)-managing Editor journal: Nieuw Archief voor Wiskunde, Wiskundig Genootschap (=Dutch Math. Society), 1977 ...
- Co-managing Editor book series Mathematics and Geophysics, Reidel Publ. Co., 1981 ...
- Managing Editor book series: Mathematics and Its Applications, Kluwer Acad. Publ., 1977 ...
- Managing Editor journal: Acta Applicandae Mathematicae, Reidel Publ. Co., 1983 ...
- Co-managing Editor CWI Monographs, CWI Tracts, CWI Syllabi, North Holland Publ. Co./CWI, 1984-...
- Managing Editor translation and revision Russian Encyclopedia of Mathematics, 1987-1994, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Managing Editor Handbook of Algebra in 9 volumes, Elsevier Science Publishers; Vol. 1:. 1995.
- Editorial board Trends in Scientific Research, Unesco/Reidel, 1984-...
- Co-managing editor (with H. Neunzert, Hj. Wacker, A.B. Taylor), ECMI series on applied mathematics, KAP/Teubner, 1987-...).
- Associate editor journal `Chaos, solitons, and fractals', Pergamon, 1991-....
- Associate editor journal `Muldidimensional signal processing'
- Wiskundig Genootschap (Member council 1974-1978; 1994-...)
- London Math. Soc.
- Amer. Math. Soc.
- Japan Math. Soc.
- Soc. Math. de France
- Deutsche Math. Ver.
- New York Acad. of Sciences
- Nederlandse Vereniging voor Natuurkunde
- American Physical Society
- European Physical Society
- European Mathematical Society
|Organizational (Mathematical) activities
- Chairman Organizing Committee 11th Dutch Math. Congress, Rotterdam 1977.
- Director NATO-ASI `Stochastic Systems: the mathematics of filtering and identification and applications', Les Arcs, June 1980.
- Chairman of the Department of Mathematics, Econometric Institute, Erasmus Univ. Rotterdam, 1972-1984.
- Chairman Committee on Continuing Education in Mathematics (PAO wiskunde, 1984 ...)
- Search Committee new president Erasmus University Rotterdam 1980/1981.
- Search Committee new secretary Erasmus University Rotterdam 1980/1981. Chairman and Organizer of various special sessions at IEEE CDC and MTNS meetings (CDC: 1986, 1984, 1983, 1982; MTNS 1985).
- Member Program Committee IEEE CDC 1983, MTNS 1983, MTNS 1985.
- Member Steering Committee MTNS 1985-...
- Chairman Organizing Committee ESMI (European Symposium on Mathematics in Industry) Amsterdam, October 1985.
- Director NATO-ASI: Deformation theory of algebras and applications, Il Ciocco, Italy, June 1986.
- Co-director NATO-ARW Geometries and groups, Noordwijkerhout, March, 1986.
- Chairman Dept. Pure Math. CWI, 1982-...
- Member for Holland of the European Math. Soc. database committee, 1985-1988.
- Member Steering Committee EMC/Euromath.
- Co-organizer, BIBOS IV, Bielefeld, 19-27 April, 1986.
- Co-organizer, ECMI II, Oberwolfach, 1-7 March, 1987.
- Co-organizer, BIBOS VI, Karpacz, Poland, February 1988.
- Member of program committee MTNS 1989.
- Founder ECMI (= European Consortium for Mathematics in Industry): March 1986.
- President ECMI: 1987.
- Council Member ECMI: 1987 - ...
- Member Steering Committee EuroMath 1985 - 1987.
- Member Commissie Samenwerkingsverband FOM/SMC Mathematische Physica, 1989-...
- Member program committee UTAM Symp. nonlinear stochastic mechanism, July 1991.
- Member program committee `New trends in system theory', Genoa, July 1990.
- Member program committee European Control Conference 1993.
- Member board Caribbean Mathematical Foundation.
- Member `Benutzerbeirat STN', Karlsruhe.
- Member organizing committee and program committee, MTNS'93.
- Member ERCIM Taskfree support fSU, 1993-...
- Chairman Steering committee ERCIM-INTAS, 1994-...
- Member European Community expert team `Georgian Symposium for development and conversion' (ISTC, Moscow), May 1995.
- Member council WG (Dutch Mathematical Society), 1994 - ...
- Chairman WG (Dutch Mathematical Society 1996- ...
|Conferences: Invited Main plenary lectures only
- Triest: Autumn School on Systems, Nov. 1978.
- Rennes: Journees de geometrie algebrique, July 1978.
- Rome: Severi centennial conference, April 1979.
- Bern: Spring Meeting of the Swiss Math. Soc., May 1979.
- Harvard: NATO-ASI Geometric methods in linear system theory, June 1979.
- Les Arcs: NATO-ASI `Stochastic Systems', June 1980.
- Puebla, Mex: ICRA III, Aug. 1980.
- Hamburg: Weekend conference on algebraic and geometric methods in systems and control theory, Oct. 1980.
- Rome: Conference on feedback and synthesis of linear and nonlinear control systems, July 1981.
- Dusseldorf: Special colloquium on invariant theory and its applications, November 1981.
- Delft: Congress of the Wiskundig Genootschap, April 1983.
- Amsterdam: Name change day CWI, August 1983.
- Beijing: Beijing Conference on systems and control, May 1984.
- Windsor: Canadian Math. Congress, June 1984.
- Bielefeld: Preliminary meeting BIBOS IV, November 1985.
- Scheveningen: Constitutive meeting LSV Mathematical Physics, June 1986.
- Marseille/Luminy: 8-th Int. Congr. Math. Physics, July 1986.
- Trieste: 2-nd Workshop on Mathematics in Industry, February 1987.
- Udine: 5 Lectures on linear and nonlinear filtering, CISM, June 1987.
- Karpacz: 24-th Winter School in Physics, Januari 1988.
- Eindhoven: Netherlands Mathematical Congress, April 1988 (opening lecture).
- Nagoya: Soliton and Riccati equations, August 1990.
- Amsterdam: Applied algebra, February 1991.
- Hangzhou: Soliton and Riccati equations, June 1991.
- Amsterdam: Mathematical information problem, November 1992.
- Aachen: Soliton and Riccatie equations, December 1992.
- Vilnius: Filtering of non-Gaussian processes, May 1992.
- Waterloo: Fields Institute: Symmetry and optimality, January 1993.
- Antwerpen: Hopf algebras and link invariants, May 1994.
- Amsterdam: Nonlinear vs linear mathematics (opening lecture KdV course), April 1995
- Moscow: Pontryagin memorial conference, The Leibnix-Hopf algebra, its dual and generalizations, Sept. 1998.
- Kaiserslautern: Believing in polynomials. Main lecture symposium in honour of Paul Fuhrmann, Sept. 1997.
For papers etc. cf. list of publications.
- Formal groups and applications, Acad. Press, 1978.
- (with J.C. Willems (eds)) Stochastic systems: the mathematics of filtering and identification and applications, Reidel Publ. Co., 1981.
- (with A.H.G. Rinnooy Kan (eds)) Current developments in the interface: economics, econometrics, mathematics, Reidel Publ. Co., 1982.
- (with R. Jurcovic, J.H.C. Paelinck (eds)) Bifurcation analysis: principles, applications, synthesis, Reidel Publ. Co., 1985.
- (with G. Koch (eds)), Mathematics of biology, Reidel, 1985.
- (with J.W. de Bakker, J.K. Lenstra (eds)), Mathematics and computer science, North-Holland/CWI, 1986.
- (with J.K. Lenstra, L.G.L.T. Meertens (eds)), Mathematics and computer science II, North Holland/CWI, 1986.
- (with M. Fliess (eds)), Algebraic and geometric methods in nonlinear control theory, Reidel, 1986.
- Encyclopaedia of Mathematics, in 10 volumes, KAP, 1987-1994; first supplementary volume, 1997.
- (with S. Albeverio, Ph. Blanchard, L. Streit (eds)), Stochastic processes in physics and engineering, Reidel, 1988.
- (with M. Gerstenhaber (eds.)), Deformation theory algebras and structures and applications, KAP, 1988.
- (with R.M.M. Matthey, E.W.C. van Groesen (eds.)), Proceedings of the first European Symposium on Mathematics in Industry, Teubner/KAP, 1988.
- Handbook of Algebra in 9 volumes, Elsevier Science Publishers, 1995-...
- (with H.C. Capel, E.M. de Jager), Proceedings KdV'95, KAP, 1995.
- (with L.A. Bokut', Yu.G. Reshetnyak (eds)), Third Siberian School Algebra and Analysis, Amer. Math. Soc., 1995.
- Who is who in the world, editions 6 (1987) - 18 (1999)
- Who's who in Science and Engineering, 1st-7th edition, 1991-1999
- Dictionary of international biography, 22nd-29th edition, 1993-1999.
- Elected member International Academy of Computer Sciences and Systems, 17 May 1994.